There are a very large number of legitimate internet businesses you can create that have nothing whatsoever to do with being a marketer. Working from home does not mean you have to be an affiliate marketer or sell products; offering services is much more profitable and much more in demand.
There has been a great boom in the online service industry in the past few years so if you are looking for a legitimate way to start a business, with little or no investment, providing business services is a great way to go. You can use your existing skills, or easily learn new skills that are in demand and get paid by companies looking to outsource those services. You are not limited to strictly data entry. Below is a few ideas of in-demand businesses you might consider.
- Audio Voice-Overs. Many companies are looking for people with a good speaking voice to record audios for their video and PowerPoint presentations. If you think you could create commercial-like voice-overs. This business may be one you would be interested in. Most computers come with standard voice recording capabilities. All you need is a USB microphone that runs around $30-$40 and some free software such as Audacity and you are in business. Set up a website and begin promoting your business or offer your services on a freelance service such as o-Desk or any of the other freelance sites available.
- Translation Service. Because the internet is a global market, many businesses are looking to reach a wider audience with their websites. If you are fluent in more than one language, you can turn that into a business. Offer your translation services for websites, information products and promotional materials to help companies expand their market reach. You do not need any investment, other than a website and some basic promotion to start this type of business.
- Video Creation Service. We all know how popular video has become as a marketing strategy, yet many people are not comfortable creating videos or they believe it is more complicated than it really is. With the use of PowerPoint, screen capture software and basic video editing software, you can provide this service. Most of the necessary software is available for free or for a very small investment. If you do not already know how to create videos, there are many free tutorials available for you to learn the skills. This is a very low cost business to start up that is currently in big demand.
- Content Creation Services. Whether it be for blog content, newsletters or article marketing, there is a big demand for high quality writing. If you have good research skills, above average writing skills and are able to write on any given topic, then this business will be right up your alley. Many businesses know the importance of maintaining a company blog but they lack either the desire or the time/staff to do it themselves. A blog assistant or ghostwriter will create the content for them, post to their blog or to article directories and they will not have to worry about the task not getting done. The only investment you will need is a website and basic promotion to get this business started.
- Virtual Assistants. If you have good knowledge of basic Office software and the internet, you can be a virtual assistant. A VA’s tasks may inlcude research, customer service, data entry, bookkeeping, creating PDFs, maintaining blogs and any number of other tasks. As a VA, you can offer all of these services or specialize in only a few. Businesses are always looking for knowledgeable people to add to their teams or to train to do the tasks they require. All you need is a website and a bit of promotion. You can offer the services through a freelance site but you should also have your own website to give more information to prospective clients.
These are just 5 ideas for starting a legitimate online business and there are many, many more options available to you. Almost any skill or service can be learned online and used to create a marketable, and profitable, business with very little start up investment.